Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Missions prior to Guate: Welcome to Portland, ME. Day 1.

day 1.
Day one. Here it goes. In a few short hours, we’re going to start loading up and driving to front street where we’re going to be holding out first club. yikes! can I tell you how UN-prepared I am? Regardless of the fact that I’m not really sure how this is going to go, I DO know that the goal is to teach these little kids from Africa and Asia the love of God, and what he did for us. I know, sounds simple and really easy right? Wrong. So many of the kids that live in the developments that we go to are Muslim, and their parents or grandparents refuse them the right to come and simply play with us. Let’s step back a summer and just listen.
It’s hot, humid, and there’s a group of 5 teenagers sitting on the bark mulch at the park. Sitting, waiting for kids to show up so we can start our clubs up. Slowly, they begin to show up. First, a few little boys who are having fun playing with Sy’s guitar, and the football. Then come the little muslim girls, who see I have my camera and insist on taking pictures. It seems as if we’re making a little bit of progress here, and so we decided why not start singing? A little bit of interaction here on the “na-na-na’s” but that was about it. So why NOT jump right into the story? So that’s just what we did. I, apparently, need to work on studying other cultures to find the best possible way to present the Gospel to them, because this day was clearly one no-no after another. First mistake-Hey guys! I’m going to tell you one of my favorite stories from the Bible! we lose half of the kids. Ok so maybe I’m not going to be able to do this-so Sy takes over and sits down with the three kids we have left and starts to talk to them. Ask them questions and get their minds thinking about God. It was so amazing-all I could do was sit and gape at how smoothly he had done this. I have no doubt that these kids went home with their minds reeling about what is the real truth. That afternoon we were asked not to return to that park. God had clearly done something in those little kids, and even if we only had one shot, I pray they chose Jesus as their savior, and not a false god.
My prayer for this year is similar. I know that we’re going to have some kids who react the same way, we always do. But if we only have this one shot with them, my prayer is that we will be able to present the gospel in a clear manner-so that they may see the Light.
I’ll update later and every day this week to keep y’all posted! Please keep us in prayer this week as we step out of our comfort zones and make the truth known. Thanks!


day 1(later)
Today went really well! Well, despite the rain that is. As we were packing up and heading out, it started to rain. NBD, except for the fact that our clubs are held outside. We went to the houses and stared letting the kids know the clubs were going on despite the rain. It was really cool that so many of the kids came, and on top of that, probably half of the kids were Muslim which is totally amazing. Usually the parents of those kids come and take them away as we begin our lessons as it goes against their religion. First club was a success.
Second club: This one went marvelously as well, except this park was held in a Caucasian neighborhood…so when you go ringing doorbells and asking if the people have kids there, it probably doesn’t go over as well as it does in the projects. Therefore, we didn’t have as many kids join us there. But we did have a very captive group!
What AMAZES me at these clubs is that the kids seem so receptive! The majority of them are SO open to having a personal relationship with Christ. They are so excited about the clubs and learning about God. I’m so excited to see how this week goes-from how today went, I pray that this week goes great!

No comments:

Post a Comment