Tuesday, March 18, 2014

my thoughts for the day: light.

light.

noun \ˈlīt\
: the form of energy that makes it possible to see things : the brightness produced by the sun, by fire, a lamp, etc.
: a source of light (such as an electric lamp)
: a light on a vehicle

Matthew 5:14 (ESV)
"You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden.
 
The LIGHT of the world. 
 
Living in Guatemala, this verse is so often on my mind. It has been a verse that I have held in my heart since I was a little girl and has always been a favorite. I remember growing up with a song (can't remember who sang it...but it pretty much was my favorite)

"Let your light so shine before men, for you are the light of the world."
 
  
If you drive through Guatemala at night, and look, like really look, you can see on the distant mountains the village lights. Me, being a photographer, have tried pretty much every single time that I see those lights to capture them. These breathtaking specs of light, beauty that are the perfect representation of Matthew 5:14. A city on a hill CAN'T be hidden. Even in the fog, rain, storms-those lights are still there. They may not seem as bright because of all the things that are clouding the view, but they are still there, shining, guiding people to their destination.

This is what we are! As followers of Jesus WE are the light on the hill. By Jesus shining through us, and us living for Him-we are the glowing specs that point people in His direction! Be the light you were created to be! 
My favorite picture of the city lights.

No comments:

Post a Comment